[CentOS] ERROR 1045 (28000) when trying to login into the mysql through user test1

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 08:27:47 UTC 2006

On 17/10/06, ankush grover <ankushcentos at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey friends,
>
> I am running Mysql server version: 4.1.20 on Centos 4.0. The problem I
> am facing is that I am not able to access the databases if I login
> through anyother user for example test1
>
> mysql -u test1 -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'test1'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> I have granted all the privileges for user test1 on databases test & test1
>
> set password for test1@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0'=password('test');
>

> show grants for test1@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0';
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Grants for test1 at 172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'test1'@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0' IDENTIFIED
> BY PASSWORD '378b243e220ca493' |
> | GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `test`.* TO
> 'test1'@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0'                             |
> | GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `test1`.* TO
> 'test1'@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0'                            |
>

> | mysql     |
> | test      |
> | test1     |
>

> I want to give user test1 all the privileges on databases test and
> test1 and the user test1 can access mysql  from any pc within the LAN
> that is why I have created user test1@'172.23.96.0/255.255.252.0'

I think the clue is in the error.

"Access denied for user 'test1'@'localhost'"

When you're testing your connection to the database your connecting
locally using a local Unix socket (I think), try connecting to a
listening TCP socket on an interface which is on the subnet you've
granted access for, or grant access for 'test1'@'localhost' too.

Try:

[test1 at testhost]$ mysql -u test1 -D test1 -h $IP

Where $IP is the address of the server on its 172.23.96.0/22 subnet.

Will.