[CentOS] HP (compaq) RAID - How to get alerts?

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Thu Oct 19 03:42:28 UTC 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Daryl wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Background: I have HP RAID setups (Smart Array 5, shows up as /dev/
> cciss/c0d0) on my DL380s, and they run great with CentOS. I have
> had a drive failure (HDD lights up amber), so I pulled the HDD,
> replaced it and the RAID controller rebuilt the array in a jiffy -
> no probs.
>
> My question: I cant find anything in the logs to alert me that a
> drive failed - this makes sense since the RAID is hardware, so i
> presume i need some management software however i cant find
> anything on HP or Compaq's sites to tell me what software i need to
> be running. I imaging it is something like cpq_alert or such.
> |
> Does anyone on the list run HP or Compaq hotswapable kit? How do
> you get alerted to failures?

Download the whole Proliant Support Pack for the appropriate RHEL
version:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/psp/index.html

It's been a little while, but I believe you'll have to play with /etc/
issue to get the installer to run.

Using the PSP is *much* easier than installing the various Proliant
linux utilities piecemeal.

-steve

--
If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction.  - Fabian, Twelfth Night