[CentOS] Switch to Nvidia from ATI

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Thu Oct 19 21:29:16 UTC 2006

BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

> I am probably going to pick up a NVIDIA card this week end.
> What is the best way to install the new card and XORG driver?
>
> Using a command line utility (maybe at init 3 level?),
>
> Should I:
>
>       1). Put the new card in, boot up, and then try to install the XORG
>            driver for the NVIDIA.
>
>   or
>
>       2). With the ATI card still in, change the driver to the NVIDIA one,
>            shut down, and then reboot.
>
>    or
>        3).  some other approach.
>

> I have not tried changing drivers after Centos has already bee installed
> on a system.  I not even sure what command line utility to use.
> I use to know it for the XFREE86 drives (RHEL 3).

The way I have changed video drivers in the past was to use system-config-display to force creation of a new xorg.conf file.  If you
just want to use the "nv" provided with XORG you won't have to install anything.

To do this, reboot the machine in runlevel 3.  Log in as root, and run system-config-display, forcing a reconfiguration operations:

     system-config-display --reconfig

When the configuration dialog comes up, select the "Hardware" tab and make sure the monitor and video card were detected properly.
If the video card isn't already set properly, change it to "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)" as there does not appear to be a setting
specifically for the FX 5600.  Click "OK", then run "startx" to test the configuration.  If it comes up OK, you can log out of the X
session and either reboot or use "telinit 5" to switch to X Window mode.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com