[CentOS] file size limit in apache 2.0 on centos 4

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Sat Oct 21 01:58:58 UTC 2006

Tony Schreiner wrote:
> I think I am encountering a download file size limit on centos 4 with
> httpd-2.0.52
>
> The file in question is 5.2G in size, it does not show up in a browser
> directory listing, and I'm getting the error in the http error_log
>
> value too large for defined data type: access
>
> can someone confirm that there is a 4GB limit (or other) in the standard
> apache 2.0 on CentOS 4?

The limit is 2GB.  While you can compile apache without limit, many
programs will not work correctly with larger files, and some will simply
refuse to touch anything larger than 2GB (for example, squid proxy
server).  With some applications it is just cosmetic stuff (they display
negative size), some will totally break.

BTW, you should be able to serve files larger than 2GB over FTP.
Actually, most CentOS mirrors that do carry DVD ISO images serve them
only over FTP (I think there's only couple that serve them over HTTP too).