[CentOS] CentOS 3.8 Kernel Update with NVIDIA Video Card

Corwin Burgess

msgclb at cox.net
Sat Oct 21 02:22:37 UTC 2006

I need some advice. I updated the kernel but when I restarted my
computer I got the following error message:

--
I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely
that it is not set up correctly. ... Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel

I've started my computer using the old kernel. I found out that there's
a new nvidia driver so I will also update it. I've downloaded this driver.

I can think of two ways to solve this problem but I'd rather have some
expert advice. What's the best way to boot with the new kernel, install
the nvidia driver and of course update the NVIDIA kernel module?

Thanks in advance,
Corwin Burgess