[CentOS] Keyboard Fails at Login Prompt

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 21:06:28 UTC 2006

On 22/10/06, Eric H Christensen <kf4otn at ericsatcom.net> wrote:

> I tried to SSH into the box but I was unable to connect.  I've also
> attempted to locate information on the BIOS but I've been unable to
> locate any information on the company (via Google).  I went back and
> reinstalled the OS just to make sure that the install was good and I
> have the same problem.  I'm kinda at a loss here.  I don't think it is
> the software but I don't know what the problem could be with the
> keyboard working up until about five seconds after the login prompt pops
> up on the screen.

When you say the login prompt, are we talking the X login screen, or
the mingetty login prompt (i.e. the CLI login presented at runlevel 3
?).

If it's the X login, try hitting CTRL-ALT-1 to swtich to a non-graphical login.

If you're still stuck and you still think it's the keyboard, you could
try booting the machine with neither keyboard nor mouse then reattempt
the SSH login from a remote host.

Failing *that* too try booting into rescue mode from a CD and see what
happens then.

Once you're in I'd check /var/log/messages (or /mnt/sysimage) for any weirdness.

Will.