[CentOS] which http proxy to choose

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Wed Oct 25 21:45:12 UTC 2006

is there a multi-threaded proxy out there?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:
>>  Which http proxy to choose nowadays?
>
> Squid.
>
>>  Squid? But as far as I understand it is single process which sounds not
>> too effective for current dual cpu dual core servers.
>>  Apache? Something else?
>
> You could span multiple instances of Squid on different ports. Don´t
> forget to make different processes use differente pid files, otherwise
> they will quit with this error: "Squid is already running". Keep in
> mind that Squid needs quick access to its cache (hard drive). I don´t
> know if several Squid processes are able to share the same cache -
> take a look and tell us.
>
> Or you could use several virtual servers with virtualization (Xen,
> VMware, etc). Again, this might not be the most optimized scheme for
> hard drive access. I would *try* this option, if Xen is an option and
> the CPU is able to do full virtualization.
>
> Both options might use round robin through iptables to balance the load.

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099