[CentOS] Experiences with CentOS & MacBook Pro?

Sébastien Arnaud sebastien at atlantic-creations.com
Thu Oct 26 00:59:54 UTC 2006

Hi Benjamin,

I agree with you. Mac OS X is far from perfect and has its
annoyances. Nevertheless it's desktop capabilities have sold me on
it, even though I administer linux servers & write apps for them on a
daily basis. I find OS X much more productive than any Linux distro,
but that is my personal preference and work habit that makes it so.

A couple of pointers though for you, that might help reduce your
frustration with OS X

1) You can use Virtue (http://virtuedesktops.info/), it works well
and pretty neat.

2) You can Apple+Tab between applications, then Apple+` to go cycle
through the window of one app. Let's not forget Expose as well if you
have a multi button mouse (I personally have a MX1000 and each button
is programmed to fire a different Expose action - really convenient)

3) The dock can be fully disabled if you hate it so much and it is
not enough to hide it. Look on macosxhints.com

4) No solution here - It is true it requires a little bit of mind
games here to find the right window, first click the app, then cycle
through the windows using the keyboard or explode them via Expose. I
use NX to connect to my Linux Desktop and I have to get re-accustomed
to the task-bar myself each time, while it is more direct to your
app, it is not workable when you have 10 apps open with several
window in each where you are back hunting for your window.

If you are luck enough to own a MacBookPro, then buy Parallels and
run Windows & Linux as a guest virtual machine, the performances are
very good and you will have the best of each world. If you use Virtue
like I suggest in 1), you can have each OS running full screen in a
virtual desktop which makes it look so transparent and pleasing...

Anyway, hope those hints help!

Cheers!

Sébastien