[CentOS] Dual Opteron or Dual Xeon?

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri Oct 27 03:52:21 UTC 2006

> There is only one thing to watch out for both Xeon and Opteron.  If your
> current Xeon is 32-bit, and the new processor (even if it is Xeon) is
> 64-bit, *and* you install 64-bit version of Linux *and* 64-bit MySQL
> binaries, you can't just copy binary database files to the new machine.
> It probably won't work.  Well, maybe it would, but I would very strongly
> recommend against it.  Use mysqldump to dump database into file, and
> re-imort it on new machine.  Or setup replication between two machines.
> This is recommended even when moving database between two identical
> machines anyhow.

???

I have copied a binary mysql database from an Intel 32-bit box (Pentium
4 2.8Ghz Centos 4.4) to an AMD 64-bit box (AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Centos
4.4 64-bit) without any problems. It was a straight copy of
/var/lib/mysql to the other box and then start the mysql server. I did
not even copy the my.cnf file since I had not make any changes to the
one provided by the rpm. I believe you mean postgresql databases. I had
to do psqldump to transfer the postgresql database to the AMD64 box. I
think you can even move mysql databases from Windows to Linux without
problems.

Aren't mysql databases machine independent?