[CentOS] Dual Opteron or Dual Xeon?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Oct 27 11:30:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 at 12:15pm, Feizhou wrote

> You will do better to get an Opteron based server. Opterons handle SSL
> faster, in fact much faster, than Intel Xeon processors not to mention that
> I/O on an Opteron box is better too. Stay away from Woodcrest Xeon servers.
> The US Government and a large korean ISP have had stability problems with
> Woodcrest servers.

Do you have any more details on said stability problems (e.g. hardware
specs, etc)?  I've been very impressed with the Woodcrest Xeon tester I've
got -- in fact, it bests my Opterons in almost every benchmark I throw at
it, and it's been rock solid.  I'm leaning pretty hard in that direction
for my next cluster upgrade.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering