[CentOS] Terminal settings question.

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Mon Oct 30 16:52:37 UTC 2006

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

>>> What's the variable "charset" set to in you .muttrc? Does it reflect the
>>> locale your system is running?
>> My "charset" value is unset.  And how do I check my locale?  Is that in
>> /etc/sysconfig/i18n?
>>
>> [saturn]$ cat i18n
>> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>> SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
>> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>
> Then try setting
>
> set charset="utf-8" in your .muttrc.

That didn't work.  However, when I set charset="utf-8" in my .muttrc,
and told Putty to use utf-8 encoding (change settings -> Window ->
Translation; Received data assumed to be in which character set: UTF-8)
it did work.

Is there a quick primer on charsets and encoding on the internet I can
refer to so that I can learn about all this?

Thanks for your pointer getting me going in the right direction.

  /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | dave at xdroop.com