[CentOS] Question about printer

David Ellsmore dellsmore at vodafone.ie
Mon Oct 30 18:38:24 UTC 2006

Ivan Arteaga wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have centos 4.3 and a printer Xerox4517 attached to it via parallel port.
> The problem I have is after some while of inactivity I cannot print, and
> when I check in the control center (KDE) I see the printer status is stopped
> (accepting jobs).
> I just have to start the printer and I can get it back to normal. It is
> possible to configure some kind of keep alive or something like that in
> order the printer doesn't go to the stopped state?
>
> I will appreciate your comments,
>
> --Ivan.

I recently had a similar (baffling) problem with a USB connected printer
on my laptop (running Mandriva 2007). What I pinned it down to was I'd
just applied a few updates/patches - somehow an update to cups had
caused my problem.

All I did was delete the printer and then reinstall it - works fine now.
I've not had time to investigate what the problem was, but seeing as the
printer works I doubt if I will.....!