[CentOS] Spamassassin/Sendmail issues

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Mon Oct 30 23:57:56 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>> Tom Elsesser wrote:
>>> I am running a server with Centos 4.4, using a combo of
>>> sendmail-clamav-spamassassin for mail, which has been working quite
>>> well up until last night. Around 3:00am, all mail going to all users
>>> was being rejected by spamassassin. My ~/mail/.procmailrc is as follows:
>>> Oct 30 07:09:02 linux sendmail[20671]: k9UC8xCK020669:
>>> to=<tom at acalprecision.com>, delay=00:00:03, xdelay=00:00:02,
>>> mailer=local, pri=89726, dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown
>>> Oct 30 07:09:02 linux sendmail[20671]: k9UC8xCK020669:
>>> k9UC92CK020671: DSN: User unknown
>>> Oct 30 07:09:02 linux spamd[348]: prefork: child states: II
>>
>> The key here is contained in the last three lines of the maillog. I've
>> recently seen this behavior on one of the servers I maintain and it
>> happened just after upgrading a CentOS 4.3 server to 4.4. The problem
>> is the Sendmail update.
>>
>> You have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Remove the current version of Sendmail and install the Sendmail
>> packages that come with CentOS 4.3
>>
>> 2. Remove Sendmail altogether and install Postfix.
>>
>> Clearly choice number one is easier and much less painful since you
>> won't have to switch out your configuration files for SA, ClamAV or
>> Sendmail.
>>

> There was a thread on this too. Someone ran newaliases and it fixed the
> problem for him.

wish that would have worked in my case, but it did nothing at all to fix
the problem. In my case Sendmail was completely ignoring the MX record
in DNS to the point of driving me mad.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."