[CentOS] Installing on Hardware RAID - Adaptec 7890/7860

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 31 00:21:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 19:10 -0500, Steve Huff wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists)
> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm trying to install the CentOS 4.4 Server CD on old hardware. The
> > hardware is a Dell PowerEdge 2300 with Adaptec 7890 and 7860
> > controllers. It's the first time I've done a Linux install with
> > hardware RAID.
> >
> > However, I'm having trouble getting CentOS (as well as Fedora Core 6)
> > to detect the SCSI hard drives. When it comes to the part where you
> > choose where to install Linux, it just doesn't detect the hard drives.
>
> Is this another old megaraid driver issue?  Try here:
>
> http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/4-Installing-RHEL4-
> on-Systems-with-Legacy-Megaraid-Drivers.html
----
adaptec is typically aac/aacraid

megaraid is LSI (often rebranded by Dell as PERC 2) at least the one's
that were affected by this. The tuxyturvy.com page referred to above has
been working for me with my caveats but this isn't his issue.

You might be SOL - try booting 'linux noprobe' and manually loading the
Adaptec drivers.

CentOS 3.x is likely to still work though.

Craig