[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 on Intel Xeon Core 2 Duo

Marc Saric

marc.saric at gmx.de
Tue Oct 31 14:12:35 UTC 2006

Dear list,

I am planning to buy a new server -because the new Core2 Duo based Xeons
(5100 series) are considerably faster in some scenarios than Opteron
machines while not beeing more expensive, I would like to hear some
real-world experiences from people who have installed CentOS 4.3 or 4.4
on such a setup.

Specifically:

CPU:   2x Intel Xeon 5100 2GHz
Board: Intel S5000 chipset
RAID5: 3ware 9550SXU-4LP

I have some experience with the 3ware Adapter (new kernel module needed
on install) but now nothing about compatibility, extra drivers or other
problems related to the relatively new Xeon/S5000 platform and CentOS
4.3/RHEL 4.3.

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Bye,