[CentOS] Centos and Network Attached Storage

Dan Stoner dstoner at flmnh.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:13:51 UTC 2006

Alexandru Asofie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to setup a NAS server on Centos. The machine will be:
> Dual xeon/Dual Opteron
> 4GB memory
> 13x 320GB SATA + 1 hotspare
> 1x 320GB SATA for OS
> The server can do RAID5,6,or 10.
> Has anyone installed such a software and can you recommand a specific
> product?
>
> Thank you.

Unless you need all of the power of the full CentOS distro (with the
configuration overhead that goes with this), you might consider a
dedicated storage server distro such as OpenFiler:

   http://www.openfiler.com/

OpenFiler hosts their web site on CentOS.  :)

We are only in the testing phase, but we have been using OpenFiler as an
iSCSI target and it is working like a champ.

  Dan Stoner
  Network Administrator
  Florida Museum of Natural History
  University of Florida