[CentOS] New X crappy for older stuff?

William L. Maltby

CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Sep 1 15:02:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 13:45 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 13:42 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

For hysterical reference, this thread starts here

   http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-August/068747.html

Well, not a thread yet, got no replies. But I do have an update and a
request for confirmation or denial so I can determine whether to just
sigh, curse and accept the status quo or pursue whatever error I have
made.

> Clarification: the scroll issues is when I enter a lower resolution, I
> have off-screen turf and I move the mouse to the edge to move in the
> virtual arena. Not scrolling as in firefox , etc. That's all OK.
>
> > While burning in a new desktop Epox KT-880 workstation, I'm running on
> > my old K6-III at 360MHz. Before new X updates (put everything in today,
> > kernel, elfutils, ntpd - Selinux issues? - xorg, ...) with my PCI ATI
> > 7000 (Radeon) on a 19" Samsung 950b @ 1024x768 (one of 5 different
> > resolutions I commonly use), I could scroll smoothly at reasonable
> > rates.
> >
> > With the new stuff I get severe flickering. As if the screen is
> > "blanking", showing a little, "blanking", showing a little, ...
> >
> > It's really horrible. Anybody else got some old stuff that does(n't)
> > have symptoms? I'll say bye to this update shortly I guess, security be
> > damned. I'm the only user and IPCop protects me.
> ><snip sig stuff>

Similar symptoms on a new EPOX KT-880/VT8237 based unit I built. AGP,
ATI Radeon 7000, 768M PC2700, AMD Athlon 1800G (PR 2200). This serves as
a workstation only, no load other than me doing a lot of manual-labor-
intensive stuff.

Thought it might be DRI suppression (X's default for Radeons). I had DRI
in the prev unit giving close to 700 rock-solid fps, new unit was less
than 200. I hoped that enabling DRI again might fix. It improved it, but
it's still very distracting. "Flicker" is less severe.

I hoping that it's a case of changed config somewhere in the bowels of
the X labyrinth, but I'm betting it's endemic to the new code set. If
so, I'll back out to the previous version and live with the hassles.

Anybody seeing similar issues on older, slower stuff? Regardless, I'm on
to google. I figure that with EL releases, some Fedora or X junkie that
is heavily scarred has seen and resolved this.

TIA
--
Bill