[CentOS] Backspace key is sending Delete after update to 4.4 (tcsh issue?)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at darkover.org
Sat Sep 2 23:30:46 UTC 2006

Sorry for the top posting, but this is one of the cases there
I think it applies.

I also noticed this change. I use bash, so this is not exclusive to
tcsh.

I had to add "stty erase ^?" on my .profile to solve this one.

On the other hand, this MIGHT be the correct behaviour. When
using the console on older version, we would already have ^?.
When on xterm, we would get ^H. At least now the behaviour is
consistent.

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 07:11:03PM -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> Maybe it was always sending Delete and I didn't notice it, but I have
> had the following in my .tcshrc file for ages (without realizing it):
>
>     bindkey -b ^? i-search-back
>
> Before the update to 4.4, hitting the backspace key at the shell
> prompt deleted the previous character.  Now it activates the search
> backwards function as instructed to do so by the bindkey directive.
> The question is, what changed to cause this?  I never realized I had
> that bindkey statement (I have never used the search backwards
> function).  Is this a change in tcsh?  Has something changed in the X
> server?  Here is the output from xev when pressing and releasing the
> Backspace key:
>
>   KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
>       root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 1593248, (136,112), root:(179,193),
>       state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen
> YES,
>       XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>       XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>       XFilterEvent returns: False
>
>   KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
>       root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 1593358, (136,112), root:(179,193),
>       state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen
> YES,
>       XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>
> If I remove that bindkey command from my .tcshrc file, the Backspace
> key removes the previous character as expected.  However, hitting
> Backspace in vim inserts ^? into the file (with or without the
> bindkey setting).  Anybody else seen this?  I've removed the bindkey
> statement from my .tcshrc file, but it's still annoying me in vim
> that I can't hit Backspace to delete the previous character...

[]s

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa