[CentOS] very new user having problems

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Mon Sep 4 11:57:23 UTC 2006

barbaara fberg wrote:
> I wrote from work and had to wait to go home to get answers
> My windows machine was broadcasting my entire hard drive to the other
> wireless users.
> I did a sysclean this morning and found a virus.  So I am using my
> husband's machine til it is fixed.
>
> I downloaded a"connec to internet" from the centos site, but it did not
> help much
>
> my internet provider helped  bit
> we went into 'network device controller " - that is blank
> went into "network config "   profile is unclecked  status is inactive
> device is ethoO nickname is etho
> type is ethernet
> we went into "hardware" desceiption is DLine type is ethent device is
> etho status is ok
> we went into " IPsec" profile  type destination  nickname  all are blank
> we went into "DNS"  hostname  I types in localhost.localhost
>                              Primary DNS  starts 66
>                              Secondary      blank
>                              Tertiary DNS   blank
>                              DNS search path  blank
> we wento "hosts"
> IP name and aliases are blank
>
> ------------
> then I went into Mozilla Foxfire under preferences, connection settings
> direct connection is checked
> auto detect in unchecked
> manual proxy is unchecked
> HTTP proxy                  Port 0
> SSL proxy                     Port 0
> FTP proxy                     Port )
> Gopher Proxy               Port 0
> Socks Host                  Port 0
>
>       socks vr unchecked    socksv5 checked
> no proxy for   [                   ]
>
> I have some numbers as on the sheet I downloaded
> some start 255 some 192.  I am just not certain which ones go where?
>
> thank you for writing. you were the only one to reply

Ok. let me rephrase the question because I'm not sure you understand
what I'm asking. In order for us to help you you've got to tell us which
"type" of internet connection you have.

(1) dialup
(2) DSL or Cable (broadband)

A dialup connection requires a different type of configuration. The
stuff your ISP tech had you looking at has little to do with actually
"creating" a connection but rather tweaking an existing connection. So
before we can go any further please tell us which type of internet
connection you've got.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."