[CentOS] Re: problems copying distro files

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 5 16:23:16 UTC 2006

John Summerfield wrote:

>>> You might have bad ISO images. They can easily be corrupted during
>>> download.
>>
>> Now that is scary. TCP SHOULD handle both missing datagrams and
>> datagrams out of order; within your window of course.
>>
>> I could see it with a bad stack implementation like Win98.....
>
> More likely, the downloads ser interrupted and resumed incorrectly. I
> don't think anyone's IP stack can be that bad _and_ be released into
> production.
Oh, a number of years back at the IETF, there was a workgroup headed by
Richard Stevens ("TCP/IP Illustrated"). He had a fantastic list of all
of the sins in so many implementations, and wanted them published as an RFC.

Cooler heads in the IESG prevailed (fear of lawsuits), and each vendor
was dragged over the coals on the mailing list and the workgroup meetings.

Richard had an untimely death, and is missed. His legacy is good
implementations of TCP/IP and others that watch for back-sliding.

Oh, and that is why my comment on Win98 ;)