[CentOS] OT - backup question/advice

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Wed Sep 6 01:38:12 UTC 2006

Alan Sparks wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>> no problem. personally I've always wondered why the proc file system
>> exists at all as part of the file system. ya can't do anything with
>> it; it's more of a tease than anything else. When I first started with
>> Linux years ago I wasn't aware of it's "specialness" and looked like
>> the monkey with his fist in a jar trying to do things with those
>> "files" in there. ;P
>>

> Huh?  The /proc filesystem provides info for system monitoring tools
> (like "top").  Also, the "files" therein provide system config
> infomation, and can be altered to reset lots of things dynamically
> during system run (check out "sysctl", for instance).
> -Alan

I forgot to add the "tongue in cheek" part. my bad.

of course I'm aware of those things now, but at the time... well that
was a different story. hence the monkey with his fist in the jar.
Actually I'm more interested to know just what processes go on the
actually create that file system.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."