[CentOS] New mailing list and wiki contribution

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Sep 6 21:06:04 UTC 2006

Have some Tips and Tricks for doing stuff the easy (and right) way?
Ever wanted to do that writeup of what you achieved with spec files?
What about that news server howto in the upper drawer of your desk?
That apache tuning paper on your computer?  Your shortcut collection for
Gnome? Or whatever might help people with using CentOS?

This is your chance: We're looking for contributors to the CentOS wiki,
for people who want to spread their knowledge to other users, for people
who actually like writing documentation.

Want to do it? It's easy. Head over to <http://wiki.centos.org/>. Find
out where *your* contribution fits best.

Create a Login on that page with a username in the format
FirstnameLastname.

Then subscribe to the centos-docs mailing list at
<http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs>. After going
which you describe *what* you want to put *where* on the wiki. If you
know which name that page should get - that's even better.

Someone of the Wiki Admins will then create that page for you and give
you edit permissions. Et voilà - you can create your page. Once you have
contributed more than a little content and have shown a desire to keep
it up(dated), we'll open up edit permissions for you.

Okay, I lied. It's not really easy. Believe us, we would like to have an
open wiki where everyone can edit pages by just creating a login and
then going ahead. But it's not possible for us to scan the wiki for
changes all the time. Say thanks to the spammers who "contribute"
everywhere they are able to.

About the mailing list: It's not only for contributing to the wiki, but
also for discussing about articles (i.e. article quality) on the wiki -
and possibly also for discussion about general CentOS documentation.
We'll see.

See <http://wiki.centos.org/HowToContribute> for more information.

Thanks for letting me interrupt your reading of other fine mails on this
list.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one