[CentOS] remote file access,

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 7 01:03:05 UTC 2006

kai wrote:

> Thanks for the answers, I agree that imap may be right, but my dns
> supplier has a quota at 40MB. I like to keep my mails, additional to my
> privat I am following several mailing list, separated, so the quota is
> way to small.
> I feel like the best for me is to move my domain here, setting up my own
> server. I have been using djbdn and qmail earlier, but would like to
> change to something more standard, I should manage though, but I am a
> little afraid of the work load setting things up.
>
> So my question at the moment boils down to, witch supplier of dynamic
> dns service to use, that also mx forward without to many restrictions.

I use dyndns for my free domains.

I don't use secondary MXes because
1. Legitimate senders should queue when I'm down
2. I don't control what mail someone else accepts for me
3. Spammers rely on 2 to inject spam into my system. When I had a
secondary MX, almost all the mail I got through it was spam.
4. In practice ou can't reject incoming mail your sendondary because, if
you do, you will contribute to the enormous backwash of bounces to
innocents.

Before I implemented this, I ran the idea past an antispam list; there
seemed no cons, and some of the others also didn't have secondaries for
the above reasons.

--

Cheers
John