[CentOS] Kernel ELsmp vs EL

Sebastien Tremblay

sebastien.tremblay at au.cmpmedica.com
Thu Sep 7 01:29:13 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm not very used to CentOS and Linux generally speaking, though I read
a lot and 'man' quickly became a very good friend of mine, right after
Google, so sorry if that's a ridiculous one! (at least it'll give you a
good laugh!)

I updated the kernel to 2.6.9-42.0.2 recently and that raised a
question... Simple... Yet silly...! What exactly is the difference
between 2.6.9-42.0.2EL and 2.6.9-42.0.2ELsmp? It seems the default
install was the 'smp' kernel, but as I had to change the grub config I
stumbled across this one and... started wondering...

Cheers for your time!

--
Seb.

This message and any attachments are confidential and are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender by reply email. Please also disregard the contents of this email and delete and destroy any copies immediately. CMPMedica Australia Pty Ltd does not accept liability for the views expressed in this email or for the consequences of any computer viruses that may be transmitted with this email. Also subject to copyright, no part of this message should be reproduced or transmitted without written consent.