[CentOS] Ctl+Alt+F12

Ted Miller tmiller at broadcast.net
Thu Sep 7 00:59:22 UTC 2006

>>>The change can be made in /etc/syslog.conf
>

>>I was clueless where to start.
>

> On my system:
>
> Insert (or activate) in /etc/syslog.conf
>
> kern.*     /dev/console
>
> and all kernel-messages appear on /dev/console
>
> (Ctl+Alt+F1 on my machine)

Mandrake uses:
local1.*							-/var/log/explanations
*.* /dev/tty12

and IPCop uses:
*.* /dev/tty12

Many of us log into /dev/tty1 on a regular basis, and if your graphical
login fails, you will end up at tty1 after you change your init level.  I
don't want all the informational messages over-writing my attempt to try to
figure out what went wrong with my graphical login.  Also, tty12 does not
have the resources assigned to it to make it a login screen.  tty12 is a
much better place for the messages.

Ted Miller