[CentOS] wifi (ipw2200) stoped working after upgrade to 4.4

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Thu Sep 7 07:59:28 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 16:12, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 15:45 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 September 2006 13:33, Ian Harper wrote:
> > > I has version 3 rather than 2.4 - thats sorted it - thanks
> > >
> > > Ian

Tony Molloy wrote

> > On a Dell latitude D810 with an ipw2200, yep problems with the new
> > 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL kernel and the new 2.6.9-42.0.2.plus.c4 centosplus
> > kernel and the new 2.4 ipw firmware installed.
> >
> > An old 2.6.9-34.107.plus centosplus kernel works fine but this uses
> > the earlier 2.2 ipw firmware.
> >
> > I'm using the centosplus kernels to get firewire working but that's
> > another matter ;-)
> > .

> > I've installed the new 2.4 firmware. Left the old stuff there, for
> > the old kernel, maybe that's the problem. Anyway when I boot with the
> > new kernels the network takes a long time, 10's of seconds, to start.
> > Then it generally works for a time, 5 to 10 minutes, then stops
> > dead!!!
> >
> > Using "dmesg | grep ipw" the wireless card is detected Ok but then
> > there is an error
> >
> > Unknown notification: subtype=40,flags=0xa0,size=40
> >
> > Any ideas.
> >
> > I'm going to have a look at this when I get home tonight.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tony
>
> I do not get the error message you get via dmesg on my Sony laptop.
>
> With regard wireless with the latest kernel over and above no signal
> level stats due to the bump to WE 18. I have the same connection and
> drop out issues. For me the connection is fine for anything web related
> that is not passing constant data, but if I vnc to another machine on
> my wireless connection, it will die after about 10 mins and require me
> to close and restart vnc.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Strange but that's more or less what happens to me. If I'm doing browsing
then all seems OK. But if I do anything that requires a lot of throughput
then the connection dies after 5 to 10 minutes. Last night for instance I
booted the laptop and just ran a ping to a remote machine. Sure enough
after 1983 pings the connection died!!

Funny thing is a reboot, several in fact would not bring the network back
up. I had to reboot with the old 2.6.9-34.107.plus kernel to get the
network back then when I rebooted with the new 2.6.9-42.0.2.plus.c4 the
network was back, well for 10 minutes anyway.

Tony