[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Thu Sep 7 16:30:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, John Summerfield wrote:

> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>
> You haven't shown how the mirroring system find a good mirror, and the
> evidence Johnny gave shows it doesn't.

Ehhh ???

> There _are_ good mirrors, I wasted some time perusing broadband plans and
> found another (only has I32 and AMD-64, but finding zSeries was a surprise).
>
> Your mirror system doesn't show them to users, and that's a problem to those
> users whom it costs.

John, I am sorry but you are talking rubbish.

We only list mirrors that tell us they want to be listed. We are not about
to go searching the net to find other ones.

And then we also check that they are up2date before listing them ...

If you know of mirrors that are not listed that have CentOS then maybe you
could ask them to get in touch with us in order to be listed. Contact
details are on the CentOS website.

> _I_ think Debian handles mirrors pretty well, it lets me specify country and
> gives me a choice, and the names I see mean something.

As has already been mentioned in this thread - use Debian ...

> Those Centos names might mean something to someone, but from here they just
> looked like someone chose random (or maybe consecutive) letters to
> differentiate their names. When I believed they are Australian, I tried to
> match them to Australian localities, but failed.

I dont know what CentOS names you are talking about - if you mean
centosa->centosc2 then they are internal centos servers that will be
pushd out to the mirrorlists if there are no other current mirrors. That
will happen when we have just released - and is done as a service to users
so they can pull stuff when mirrors dont have it.

As we have no servers donated to us in .au , none of them will be located
there , but if you want to spend some time getting us some dedicated
servers donated in .au then we would be very grateful.

Regards
Lance >

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.