[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 18:08:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 12:47 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 18:08 +0100, Lance Davis wrote:
>
> > CentOS 3 wont have the same issue because all updates are referenced via a
> > round robin set of mirror.centos.org, which will always be seen as the
> > same url by the proxy.
>
> What's the problem with that scheme?  It's hundreds of times faster
> on my second and subsequent machines - and would be for anyone else
> going through a proxy configured to cache large objects.

What is wrong with that scheme is that only 1 mirror is listed ... if
you loose the connection, if it gets overloaded in the middle of your
transfer, etc. then there is no failover.

> > > Maybe those claimed 1.5 million users are really a few users or
> > > locations
> > > with a lot of machines...  Letting proxies work as designed would
> > > make sense to me.
> >
> > Well the issue is that you want a proxy to always hit the same mirror -
> > (which you can configure) whereas we want to spread the load between the
> > mirrors ...
>
> What I want is for the default install to work using standard
> cache techniques.   The 'you can configure' concept only works if
> you know everyone else sharing the same proxy and can pre-arrange
> every file download with all of them which is pretty unlikely in
> any organization large enough to even have a proxy.  A scheme that
> uses the same URL for the same file will always work automatically.
> If you do this, spreading the load won't be an issue since there
> will actually only be one download.  If you can't use the same
> set of mirrors as centos3, there has to be some way to make this
> happen based on some computation that would be repeatable - perhaps
> a server-side check that can see the requester's public source
> address and give back the best mirror URL or a sorted list that
> would always be the same for that source IP.

If you have alot of machines doing the same updates from the same place
(and so are behind a proxy server) then hosting the updates yourself on
a local mirror would be much easier and you would not have to worry
about any of these issues.