[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 18:49:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 13:27 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > > What's the problem with that scheme?  It's hundreds of times faster
> > > on my second and subsequent machines - and would be for anyone else
> > > going through a proxy configured to cache large objects.
> >
> > What is wrong with that scheme is that only 1 mirror is listed ... if
> > you loose the connection, if it gets overloaded in the middle of your
> > transfer, etc. then there is no failover.
>
> Doesn't your geo-ip enabled DNS service drop non-responding servers?  It
> has been much less trouble in practice from my locations than the fedora
> or
> centos4 repositories.

Yes ... but you didn't understand.  let me try again.

mirror.centos.org is something that we own.  There are 10 total servers.
We pass out 1 address (because rrdns does not work correctly with
python) ... that address is based on your IP and geoip relevant.

So ... you get 1 (and only 1 ) address to connect to.

If in the middle of you 100 packages, you have a glitch and loose your
ability to connect to the server (it is overloaded, a router 3 hops down
dies, etc. ... whatever) then that download fails and you drop out of
yum.

If you are using a mirrorlist, there are 9 other urls to try if that
happens.

NEXT REASON:

10 internal servers can not serve all the updates required ... 127
mirrors can.  Those 127 mirrors are not named the same thing, nor are
the paths the same.  We can't pass them out as mirror.centos.org ... the
mirror operators have chosen different paths that work for them, etc.

What we have done it built a system that will test them, pass to you 10
active, close and geoip relevant IPs in real time.  If a mirror is out
of date, it goes away.

For your situation, you can pick one mirror, use it in all your config
files, then it will work perfectly for you in your cache.

Unless 127 people want to donate machines to CentOS.org to put under our
control, then we can name them all mirror.centos.org and control their
paths.

Have you ever tried to develop a mirror system that can provide updates
to 1.5 million clients?