Working - Re: [CentOS] Taring up the OS - how to exclude directories

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 8 18:28:16 UTC 2006

Robert wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Robert wrote:

>>> I recall that before USB2, when tape backup made sense, I used an
>>> "exclude file" rather than doing it on the command line.  I also
>>> remember that "/"s most definitely affect the outcome. I believe
>>> that if you'll look at the info pages (not man) for tar, you'll find
>>> a few examples buried in the document that will make the tar part of
>>> your puzzle crystal clear.
>>>
>> At the very end of info tar, it talks a LITTLE bit about -- exclude
>> PATTERN.
>>
>> I guess you have to know what pattern means.  So should I be using
>> entries like:
>>
>> --exclude '/home'  ?
> O.K., I mounted my USB drive, went back in my archived stuff and found
> this "exclude" file:
> -----------------------------
> [root at mavis ~]# cat /media/OT*/extra/FC1*/home/rj/nobackup
> /mnt
> /dev
> /proc
> /home/rj/mnt
> /media
> [root at mavis ~]#
> ------------------------
> You can use this rather than several --exclude entries on the command
> by using the option -X <exclude-file-name>.
> Whatever suits you just tickles me plumb to death.
Thanks.  I could not find any clear reference to the entries in the
--exclude-from file.  And I figured out that the reason I was getting an
empty archive was that -C option.  I was telling tar to switch to
directory / but not telling it what to tar!  Actually, in this case,
there was no reason for the -C.  Taking it out got things working.  One
question I have is that every so often the -v is showing things like the
following:

tar: Removing leading '/' from member names
/
/sbin
/sbin/dump_cis
/sbin/request-key
/sbin/agetty

Well those were the first ones, and the reason I could catch those is at
that point SSH prompted my for the remote user password.

If I watch the screen (without getting sick with the fast scrolling), I
see other '/' being removed comments.