Working - Re: [CentOS] Taring up the OS - how to exclude directories

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Sep 8 20:48:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 14:28 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Robert wrote:
> > Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> tar: Removing leading '/' from member names
> /
> /sbin
> /sbin/dump_cis
> /sbin/request-key
> /sbin/agetty
>
> Well those were the first ones, and the reason I could catch those is at
> that point SSH prompted my for the remote user password.
>
> If I watch the screen (without getting sick with the fast scrolling), I
> see other '/' being removed comments.

BTW, that means you really didn't do it "right". What you really wanted
to do was cd to / (or use the C) and then tar up "." (no quotes). Then
your file names would be like "./sbin/abc', './sbin,123', ... giving a
relative pathname again. You could also do a tar with the -C and backup
"*" (no quotes) but that would miss "hidden" files unless you took
special steps.

As another step, tar and compress (if you have fast CPU and slow I/O,
this helps) in "one step" or pipe tar output into bzip2 and get max
compress. But this can get quite slow. Like Fridays on the CentOS lists
(TG after that crap from yesterday).

> <snip>

HTH
--