[CentOS] Another Tar stopper

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 12 16:35:47 UTC 2006

Will McDonald wrote:
> On 12/09/06, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>> Will McDonald wrote:
>> > I'd send STDOUT and STDERR to separate logs for brevity's sake.
>> > Something like...
>> >
>> > tar czvf $destfile $tobetarred > /tmp/tarlog.std 2> /tmp/tarlog.err
>>
>> If you want to have it brief - why the "v"?
>
> Pedant. :)
>
> What I *meant* was then all the errors would be in one place, all the
> standard messages in an other, which is kinda brevity.
OK.  I used the following:

tar -cpvzO / --exclude-from=/home/not-file 2>/tmp/tarlog.err | ssh
user at ipaddrs "cat > backup.tgz"

No messages went to the screen.  tarlog.err is 4Mb large.  Looked at it
for error messages.

NONE!  not even the one I was getting before routing stderr.out.  I did
a the -l option, but that should not result in no error messages...

So now what?

Confused.