[CentOS] Lingering dhclient issue

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Wed Sep 13 22:29:36 UTC 2006

> My question is, what could I have done to avoid this (other than
>killing the dhclient process)?  Is there a better way to reconfigure
>an interface to use a static address?  I am not interested in
>solutions that involve using a GUI (i.e., only command line solutions).

Unless this device is going to be switching from DCHP to static
frequently, wouldn't simply killing the dhclient process be sufficient?

If not, you could always simply write a shell function for ifconfig (if
you're using bash, ksh or sh) that checks for an associated dhclient
process when and interface is "down"'d and kills the associated dhclient
process.

Hope this helps,

Justin.