[CentOS] backup server..

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 14 03:09:27 UTC 2006

Brad Falzon wrote:

> Never a good idea to run X when you dont need to. All Administration can
> be done via config files on the command-line and any system-config gui
> programs usually have a commandline replacement anyway. But if you
> really wanted X check out 'yum grouplist' and 'yum groupinstall "X
> Window System"'

but it's possible, and you can run a secure connexion from elsewhere,
either using a VPN (I use and recommend openvpn), or tunnelling VNC
through ssh.

Here's an example of what I do to configure routers & printers remotely,
using their web interfaces. I'm using this coz I think the port numbers
are more obvious:-)

In a terminal window (eg Konsole)
ssh -L8080:192.168.2.254:80 sysadmin.office.lan

Then I point Mozilla or something at
http://127.0.0.1:8080/

Moz connects to port 8080 locally, ssh forwards the connexion to an
(mine) admin computer at work & ssh there forwards it to the gateway
box. Rather than going through my VPN, I could use the external name for
my office as ssh still connects through to my desktop.

vnc, smtp and many other TCP protocols can be forwarded.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait