[CentOS] backup server..

TimJowers@Yahoo.Com timjowers at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 12:48:55 UTC 2006

   Maybe someone can clear up the grub conf for me. Has anyone gotten this to
work: two IDE/ATA drivers. Slave is a spare duplicate of the master. Goal is to
be able to boot to Spare at any time and run it instead. What step am I
missing?
   When I tried to duplicate a system I failed using this method due to the
/boot configuration being specific to the disk layout in the box. That is, if I
copied disk A to disk B and then wanted to boot to B I believe I would have to
remove A and strap B as the master. Combined SCSI and ATA totally failed on
GRUB knowing which disk is which.  Ended up having to first install the target
slave disk and then moved the disk. Copied everything except /boot.
   My impression is RAID is the only thing which would work. My goal was
actually to create several systems based on the install of one master system.
The other systems had random numbers of disks and such. The only way i got it
to work was Ch1Master had to be the boot disk in all of them. I mucked around
with
/boot/grub/grub.conf and device.map to no avail.

Thanks,
TimJowers