[CentOS] Re: Strange screen-blanking problem

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Sep 15 12:22:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 21:27 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > been having sporadic instances where the screen simply goes black for
> > about 2 seconds.  It has nothing to do with whether I'm using the
> > mouse or keyboard (or not)
>
> Just in case anybody was paying attention to this ...

I was. But had nothing to offer. That is common here.

> Evidently the blanking has something to do with the machine being on a
> KVM switch with another computer (which happens to be a Mac Mini, but
> that doesn't seem to be relevant as it was powered off).  I thought I
> had ruled out the KVM before I posted the first time -- among other
> things, why would rebooting the linux machine fix a failure in the
> KVM? -- but the problem has not recurred since plugging the monitor
> directly into the computer.
>
> This isn't 100% conclusive because I've gone days or weeks without
> this happening in the past, but it's the first time I've gotten the
> problem to go away without rebooting.

I have mine on KVM, NP. But, IIRC, when I first joined there were some
postings about some KVMs causing this type of problem? Search the
archives. I *think* you'll find this is not unknown and not even that
uncommon. I seem to recall that some brands were mentioned as being more
likely to have this problem? Belkin??? Don't quote me though.

I guess I should admonish you to search the lists first? I know it's
more work, but the list archives are sometimes less silent than this
place. And frequently faster to give you an answer on "oddball"
problems.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--