[CentOS] Pentium M in desktop system.

Chris Weisiger

cweisiger at i-55.com
Fri Sep 15 23:35:46 UTC 2006

I have a Gigabyte 8S661FXMP motherboard. It had a P4 2.4Ghz processor in
it.

I have a laptop which cant be fixed and has a Pentium 4 M 2.8Ghz.

I put the Pentium M in my desktop and it boots fine and runs fine, yet I
have only been running it for about 30 minutes and shut it down.

I have now run it for a complete 2 days without lock ups or anything.
I have just been letting it idle, although I did do a defrag of a 120Gig hard drive which the hard drive was thoroughly fragged. So that was the first intensive thing done to my desktop with the pentium M processor.

I runs at a cool 24 degress C.

I did read that some laptops were socket 479 but i double checked my laptop and it is definitely socket 478. Both my desktop and laptop are socket 478.

When I boot my system up, it does tell me that its a Mobile processor.

What kinda issues would I need to look for as far as capatibility issues.

I kinda took the situation as, it boots up and runs so it should be fine.