[CentOS] How to reattach to a failed ssh session or process

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:19:59 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 11:12, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 09:41 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> > Hi, is there a way to "reconnect" to a ssh session that was
> > disconnected and left running processes in the linux server?

> You can't reconnect to a broken ssh connection, and in fact it
> should have killed all the processes you were running.

Unfortunately, I have seen many instances where ssh sessions do like this; if
one happens to be running a yum update in one, and yum is downloading
packages (putting yum into its unkillable mode, which, in my opinion is such
an annoying thing; there have been a number of times I'd start up an update,
have it run for a while, then need to leave (taking my laptop with me, and
thus disconnecting the session, which can cause its own problems) where I'd
like to just simply CTRL-C yum and have it do the Right Thing; yum just
cycles to the next mirror (at least the last time a couple of weeks ago it
did this) when you hit CTRL-C OR when you send yum a SIGTERM)), then you can
get some really wierd artifacts with unkillable but not running yum
processes; I have seen a few where SIGKILL didn't do anything, and all
because of a network glitch.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology