[CentOS] Page allocation failure and slow system

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Sep 21 22:37:13 UTC 2006

More info on this.

We are running CentOS 4.4 x86.  Sorry I didn't include that before.  We
believe that this started happening about the time of the CentOS 4.4
kernel upgrade to 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp.

I'm writing info on the process using the most physical memory (rss)
each minute to a log file.  In the same minute as the error message, a
user started a vmware workstation session.  I'm thinking that this is a
likely culprit.

The rss number did not look unusual, though.  About 98M RSS.

Thanks,
Steve