[CentOS] Hard drive errors

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Fri Sep 22 17:15:54 UTC 2006

Cian Cullinan wrote:
> Well given the simultaneous errors from both disks, and the all-clear
> from smartctl, it *really* sounds like a problem external to the
> disks, I.E.: cables, controller etc.

I had a workstation machine a number of years ago that had a similar
problem.  I was able to duplicate the problem and make it go away at
will by enabling/disabling the fan that was on the southbridge chip that
controlled diskIO for that particular motherboard.  Removing the
fan/heatsink entirely triggered a wave of disk errors.  "Freezing" the
chip with a "can of compressed air" would make the errors stop (until
the chip heated up again).  I was rather poor at the time so I
temporarily solved it by shoehorning a bigger heatsink onto the
southbridge until I could afford a new motherboard.

Cheers,