[CentOS] vmware running with socket 939 and AMD

rado

rado at rivers-bend.com
Tue Sep 26 14:34:52 UTC 2006

Now this is getting exciting!
Well, ya,I'm running vmware in 2 boxes.
I am hoping this might help someone w/the config that follows:

socket 939 mb
AMD 3200+ clawhammer

1. do: # uname -r
	returns: 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL (CentOS 4.4 stock kernel)
2. edit /boot/grub/grub.conf: make the vmlinuz line look like:
   kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
clock=pit quiet

	"clock=pit" is added.

those are the only tweaks I did to produce a stable clock and get rid of
that repeating kb problem.

I made these tweaks 2 days ago (Sun). Monitoring it yesterday
I never seen the time off more than 1 minute.
but I didn't do any thing on that box yesterday. This morning I just
changed the user back to rado and testing the key repeat issue right
now.

thx Les and Aleksandar for y'alls suggestions.

John Rose