[CentOS] Samba setup for CentOS-4.4 workstations

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Sep 26 16:55:29 UTC 2006

I am trying to get our prototype Linux workstation to allow users to see
shares on our legacy MicroSoft Windows-2000 Domain Server,  I can find
guides for setting up Samba as a Primary Domain Controller but I cannot
seem to locate any good and expansive guide for setting up a samba
workstation and just joining the domain.  Perhaps this is so trivial a
process no-one thinks that it requires such a guide.

We have user logins to that workstation using the existing Windows Domain
controller for authentication but I cannot seem to unlock how to allow
access to the shares.  We have CUPS configured to the networked printers
but I had to use the administrator's id and password to get that to work.

I am really looking for a comprehensive guide to the entire process from
the CentOS workstation point of view and any pointers to such are
earnestly sought.  I found this site:
http://linux.unimelb.edu.au/server/course/fc3/samba.html which seems to
fairly complete but I lack sufficient experience with samba and kerberos
to determine exactly what this is telling me.  I believe at this point
that I should be using the "ADS security model" but I have no idea what a
"kerberos realm" is (at least with respect to an existing MicroSoft
Domain).  I also lack the knowledge of how to configure this portion of
the set up so a guiding hand is most welcome.

Our fqdn for the Microsoft domain is "brockley.harte-lyne.ca"

I have set up the samba server setting to this:

Basic: Workgroup: brockley Description: <fqhn of Linux workstation>

Security: Auth Mode: ADS Auth. Server: BRDC-01.Brockley.Harte-Lyne.ca
Kerberos Realm: blank (and I cannot set it so that the setting is
preserved) Encrypt Passwords: Yes Guest Account: No Guest Account

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3