[CentOS] Trimming the fat out of a Centos 4.4 Installation

Steve Bergman sbergman at rueb.com
Thu Sep 28 15:14:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 09:33 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:

> Let's see how it goes and i will report back. I will start today, hehe.
> It must fit a CF card and my boss told me that try to put it in a 128
> mb CF card. anyway Let's see how it ends....

Once you trim it to <128MB... is it really CentOS anymore?

Might you be better off starting with something like Damn Small Linux or
DSL-N ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) which are already close to what
you want.  A <128MB CentOS is not just trimming the fat.  It's carving
off the skin, fat, and muscle, and leaving just the skeleton.  Though to
get it that small, you might have to amputate a leg. ;-)

DSL is also designed to boot and run from usb sticks and such.  In fact,
that's its specialty.

-Steve