[CentOS] Centos 5 will have full NTFS read write support?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Apr 3 03:24:44 UTC 2007

"Josep M." <mylinuxmaillists-2006 at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hello Ralph.
>
> I was searching and was reading that after kernel 2.6.15 all kernels have full NTFS read/write support,(RHEL5 is 2.6.18) so, maybe I will have to rebuild this, I hope Redhat do not stripped this from kernel sources.
>
> Josep
>

> Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> escribió: Josep M. wrote:
>

>> >    Hello.
>> >    I   have   Centos   4.4   with   the   NTFS   read-only   driver  from
>> >    http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/135/71/
>> >    I would like know if someone who installed this can test if Centos 5 can
>> >    read/write NTFS,.
>>

> Not out of the box:
>
> [angenenr at shutdown ~]$grep -i ntfs /boot/config-2.6.18-8.el5
> # CONFIG_NTFS_FS is not set
> [angenenr at shutdown ~]$
It wouldn't surprise me if NTFS was encumbered by some sort of Micro$oft
intellectual property claim.  This would be sufficient to cause Red Hat
to not build their kernel with it even if all it takes to make it work
is to enable the feature in the kernel build.

See one of the many flame wars over MP3 or some other IP encumbered
technology as to why RH won't include it (and risk getting sued).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce