[CentOS] changing motherboards. kernel panic.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 3 14:41:24 UTC 2007

Erick Perez wrote:
> Hi,
> I just changed the motherboard of a centos 4.4 installation for a new one.
> this new one has a SIS chipset.
> Now when i boot from the hard disk i get a kernel panic (unable to find
> root, no hdd found , etc)

Really?

> I have identified the module I need to load to make centos "see" the disks.
> Now the question is what do I need to modify in my existing
> installation, to
> tell centos to use the new sis module and to *not* use the old intel?

I fully expect moving a hard drive containing from one box to another to
just work*. I do it fairly regularly too.

* Within some limits; you need to have the right network drivers to hand
and they need to get loaded, and that bit's a little problematic in some
distros, and you have to find where to plug the network cables in.
Getting X to work properly can be a little iffy too, particularly with
certain Dells with Intel graphics. Anything with Intel graphics.

Can't really help you though, without seeing it.

You're m eyes: what do I see?

Hint, You should have a current Knoppix CD handy. Every sysadmin should,
including Windows sysadmins.

--

Cheers
John