[CentOS] Move from FC6 to CentOS5

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:06:56 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> > How difficult will it be to move from a server from FC6 to CentOS?
> > No X needed, it's a server.
> >

> This is one of those questions: it's doable, but if you need to ask,
> probably not by you;-)
>
> It might also be possible to force Anaconda to do the upgrade.
>
> There is some probability > 0 that you will be left with orphaned and
> unsupported packages, depending on what you have installed.

Thanks John.

Basically if you have done updates to the system.. you will have
'orphaned' packages. Fedora Core 5 and 6 kernel, glibc, (or other
things) have higher rev's than what is in CentOS-5. The best fix is to
do a backup of /etc and other config files, backup your /home
/var/I_do_stuff_here partition and install a fresh CentOS-5