[CentOS] Re: software raid

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Apr 4 02:30:31 UTC 2007

> Looking at the manual for that system, the drives are hot-swappable - even
> with the onboard controller, but I am not sure if the linux software raid
> supports hotswap. I guess you will have to test it.

Linux software raid cannot due to partitioning issues or rather its
support of partitions for raid devices. The disk might have to be first
partitioned before it can be added to the array whereas hardware raid
cards use the whole disk and do not have to worry about partitioning and
therefore can make use of the disk immediately without any squabbles.