[CentOS] Problems with SATA DVD+-RW drive [SOLVED]

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Wed Apr 4 22:26:23 UTC 2007

With a lot of hints and a little research I figured out how to get my
SATA DVD burner to work.  The biggest clue was in the Nero for Linux
documentation which stated that the /dev/scd* device was only used for
READING from the drive, that writing is done via the /dev/sg* device.  A
quick look showed that the /dev/sg devices did not exist on my system.
After doing a 'modprobe sg' they did exist and both cdrecord and
growisofs work just fine.

In order to make this fix permanent I added the following line to
/etc/modprobe.conf:

install sr_mod /sbin/modprobe sg ; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sr_mod

When the system detects a SCSI (or in this case SATA) CD device it
automatically loads the sr_mod module to service the /dev/scd* device.
This addition forces the sg (Generic SCSI) module to be loaded whenever
the sr_mod gets loaded.

Hope that helps the next guy!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN