[CentOS] Windows AD

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 5 12:01:03 UTC 2007

user local wrote:
> 2007/4/3, CentOS List <centoslist at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does CentOS 5 / RH 5 ship with a similar windows active directory and
>> able
>> to support windows workstations? I've of  heard OpenLDAP and FDS. Does
>> windows support those?
>

> LDAP+Kerberos+smthM$specs=Active_Directory. You also should use Samba and
> have a Primary Domain Controller for you Windows clients. Active_Directory
> uses DNS to solve hosts to addresses, so you don't need a WINS server,
> though.  I think the point to start w/ is Samba:
> http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ ,
> http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ (jump to Chapter 5, maybe
> it's all you need)
>
> AFAIK CentOS has an Anaconda chapter dedicated to installation of Kerberos,
> and LDAP, too, so you have no excuse to miss the party :D. Sorry about I am
> not more useful for you, but I think it's feasible. I would try it. (I have
> no experience w/ Kerberos, very little w/ OpenLDAP, Samba, and... CentOS).

Assuming you're already a somewhat competent Windows user (ie you meet
the prerequisites), then a one-week course makes you competent (not
expert, that comes only with experience) to create and administer an AD
setup. I've done the course, though I was a little light on the
prerequisites, and have some experience here.

Microsoft has this nice big GUI that takes most of the pain out of it,
one just has to have some idea of what one's doing.

Until Red Hat and/or SUSE ships the tools to replicate AD's
functionality, it's not there. Few enterprises are going to spend
shareholder funds on a speculative venture to do the same job with
harder-to-use tools. The tools will have to be better, and demonstrably
able to save money.

--

Cheers
John