[CentOS] CentOS 4.5 ?

Lanny Marcus centos at computer2.com
Thu Apr 5 20:11:33 UTC 2007

>Message: 77
>Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:31:21 -0700
>From: "Mark Hull-Richter" <mhullrich at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 4.5 ?

>On 4/4/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Depends on your perspective. If your software runs on centos4, but
> doesn't play well with the new gcc or applications on centos5, then
> 4.5 is very definitely an advantage over centos5. Centos4 has been
> out, heavily tested and proven for around 2 years now. Centos5 is
> still in beta, and many professional shops want some internal testing
> time prior to deployment. It's all dependent on the circumstances.

Mark: If you are running a non production box, give CentOS 5 a shot. I
plan to do that, but having had a bad out of the box experience with
FC6, I will be prepared to return to CentOS 4.4, rapidly, after
installing CentOS 5.

If you are running production machines, then it is *NOT* a good idea to
be the first one on your block with a brand new OS. Best to be
conservative and let others find the problems that will bite you in the
rear. HTH, Lanny